Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year!


The last five months have flown by since my first diagnosis. I can’t believe it is 2009. I hope you all had a great holiday and it was wonderful. Personally, my favorite gift was I am done with chemotherapy as of December 23rd. I was able to enjoy a beautiful Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my family without major side affects. The picture here shows me with my mother-in-law, and dear friend, Eileen on Christmas morning.
I did not get the migraines this time, thank goodness, but I was physically ill the night/day after Christmas for hours and was in bed for three days. I will spare you any other details and just state I am overjoyed this portion of my treatment is over. I am now in the week where my white blood cell count is extremely low for a week and then it starts climbing back after next week and so will my hair (yippee!).

My next step is radiation, which does not affect my white blood cell count like chemo. Radiation starts two weeks from today, January 12, when my body is strong enough to start. I had my radiation “orientation” today. I will be having 34 radiation treatments, five days a week for seven weeks. It is only a 15-minute treatment but getting there and back is an hour out of the day and somewhat of a pain fitting it into our company’s busiest quarter of the year. All the doctor had to give me were the percentages today of how women with my exact type of cancer go from a 45% chance of cancer returning to a 4% chance of return if they do radiation…so I will try not to complain much on that hour out of my day for two months of my life. As far as getting healthy and strong I still can’t take a lot of my health regiment I was on before starting chemo until after I complete radiation. The doctor today discouraged me from taking antioxidants during radiation because it affects how the radiation kills the cancer. There are several side effects from radiation but I am hopeful and somewhat confident that they are nothing like chemo. One of radiation’s side effects is fatigue but I am not afraid of radiation like I was chemo and I believe I will get stronger and better from here on out. For more information on radiation and what I will be doing see the following website: http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/

Thank you again to all of my family and friends for your special and beautiful Christmas/Holiday cards and gifts. Thank you also for supporting Keith and me through this crazy journey. God Bless you all and may 2009 be rich in love and health for you and your family. I will try to be better about updating my blog in 2009!

3 comments:

Shawnna said...

Happy New Year, Freddie! We are happy that the chemo is over and that you got to celebrate with your family! We love you!

paco said...

Hello my old friend! If you get this message twice I apologize for I went to Manual High School and am having difficulty leaving a message because of operator failure! lol.. It's your old friend Paco! I was just chating with Prissona on facebook and I was asking about you and she told me what has been going on with you. You know I wish you all my prayers and thouhts for your speedy recovery! You are a thunderbolt:) and have always been an amzaing beautiful person and I know you will triumph over this. You better let you husband know he should be jealous of me!! LOL! ( just kiding ) but I always adored you and I know how strong you are!! Maybe when your feeling stronger we could have lunch or something! I would love to see you! I cant believe you are going to be a grandmother because that seriously depresses me! That makes me feel so old! lol. Had our 30 year reunion last August and I told everyone that there must be some mistake because I was so much younger then all these people. I would enjoy hearing back from you and you can always email me at markslosky@aol.com and am also on facebook with lots of our old friends! Remember you are in my thoughts and prayers my old friend, if you ever need anything I would never hesitate to be there for you!! :) Hope you and your family have a wonderful happy new year!!! Love, Paco.

Anonymous said...

Sue was thrilled to spend some time with you and assured me that you appeared in great spirits. I already knew it but it was comforting to hear it from her. I wish you could accompany your folks out here...Maybe soon you and Keith could take a vacation...I'd give you the same BEDROOM!...ho ho ho...Nancy