Saturday, September 13, 2008

Welcome to My Blog and Health Update!

To all my dear friends, thank you so much for the humbling love and support you have all shown me in the last month and a half. I am truly blessed to have you all in my life on this journey!

On August 4th I was diagnosed with breast cancer. On Aug 21st I had surgery to remove the 2.5 centimeter cancerous tumor. I chose only to have a lumpectomy because the MRI I had the week before did not show any cancer in any other part of either breasts and my lymph nodes were not enlarged. They did end up finding cancer in my sentinel lymph node during surgery though and so they took out 8 other lymph nodes to biopsy. The following Monday, Aug 25th, I found out those lymph nodes were clear of cancer giving a high percentage of hope that it was not in any other part of my body. Because it was in the sentinel node though it is at least stage II cancer and I need to have chemo and radiation to make sure all cancer cells are killed.

I have another health issue that I have battled for 20 years that has worn down my immune system so my huge battle is to get my immune system strong so that I can start chemo after my daughters wedding on October 10th. My sister Toddie, my husband Keith and I have researched a lot and we are building my immune system and fighting my other health issue with products from an alternative clinic in Scottsdale and I can already see great results in how I feel.

Come mid-October, I will be going through 4 treatments of chemo, once every three weeks, through mid January and then I start radiation for 5-7 weeks once a
day. I have always considered myself a holistic person and this was my hardest decision as I was really trying to avoid this but all the doctors we have met with and my family believe I need to do this so the cancer does not come back or spread anywhere if for some reason all the cancer cells were not removed. We were not sure if I had cancer in other places but I had a full pet scan of my body on September 12th to make sure that we are on the right path of treatment before chemo started and to make Keith and myself more at ease. We received the results on September 16th that no cancer tumors were seen on the pet scan in other areas of my body!

The prognosis is very good just a fight which I plan to win! I would like to thank all my friends/clients so much for all their love and support in the last month and a half! Thank you to all of you who have sent flowers, cards, cooked meals etc. Keith and I truly feel blessed! How can I NOT win this battle with all this love and support? Keith’s and my heart goes out to the women that don’t have this kind of support and we will continue to keep them in our prayers and try and see how we can help others in the future.

Many have been asking how I found the cancer. After a very stressful time in the past six months, I lay in bed many mornings having a hard time getting up because I was so tired. I have three wonderful cats but my cat Stella became overly demanding of my attention and would come and sit on my chest and pet my face with her paw. As endearing as it was, some days I would be annoyed and push her off only for her to come right back up on my chest. She is four-years old and had never been so demanding and this had been going on for about a month. Finally, on July 29th she jumped on my right breast and it hurt so I did a self-breast exam and felt something that did not seem normal. I made an appointment that Friday, August 1st, to go in and get a mammogram and ultrasound. They told me I had something “suspicious” that they needed to biopsy and I asked them to do it then. They basically told me they were pretty sure I had cancer right there and confirmed it the following Monday. As you can only imagine, Stella is even more dear to my heart for helping detect my cancer. Since the surgery, she still hangs out on my chest but she seems at peace that the cancer has been removed and she is not quite so demanding..just loving.

Again, thank you all for your humbling support! Please understand it is hard to get back to everyone reaching out to me but that all your cards, emails and gifts have blessed me tremendously!

Thank you to friends who have offered to bring us meals through the chemo. We welcome and love the support. I am on a very strict health regime though and Keith has been a gem in following it with me and preparing my meals. Basically, I have to stay away from sugar, dairy and carbohydrates besides things made with brown rice, oats and buckweat. Most organic meats and vegetables I can eat. I also have to stay away from alcohol for a long time so that means I can’t have my favorite “Freditini” margaritas with friends for awhile! Here is a link to the kind of foods I am eating these days due to my Candida with the Cancer. http://hubpages.com/hub/Candida-Diet-Cookbook

I will keep you updated on my progress and thank you all for helping stand up to the fight against cancer!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for your tremendous support! A few of our dear friends have put a lot of hard work into a fundraiser for us to help us cover our rediculously high deductible. It will be on October 1 at Mile High Station from 5:30 to 8:30 pm. Here is a link to more information.
http://www.fairwaygraphicsllc.com/FTemailblast/Index.html

Also, we have a team for the Race for the Cure named "Fearless Freddie and Friends. If you would like to joins us on October 5th for that, here is a link to our team: http://www.komendenver.org/goto/fearlessfreddie

Thank you all again for your prayers, support, caringfullness and awesomenessisms.

Keith

Unknown said...

The greatest healing power is friendship and love and you are so rich with that!
I LOVE YOU!
~your sister

Anonymous said...

Hi Freddie and Keith... I did not know you were sick Freddie. I know you are getting lots of emails and hugs from everyone...but I want you to know that I am sending you one from Colorado Springs. I miss working with you guys and I know you have made lots of long lasting friendships through your business...including one here. Let me know if I can help in any way...if nothing else...you are both in my thoughts. I know Keith is "feeling" your pain Freddie...that is why you are both in my heart and in my thoughts.
Love you guys, Len

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see you both at the Plaza yesterday. On the outside you both look wonderful but I know on the inside there is worry! You have your priorities right and I know God will take care of you and give you whatever it is you need - when you need it.

We are picking my 88 year old mother at the airport on Oct. 1 so will not be able to attend event at the Mile High Station. I know it will be a blast. I have donated and will keep you in my prayers.

I am sleeping in for Race the Cure but have made my donation there as well.

Keep up your amazing work on taking care of one another - we love you.
Donna W

Anonymous said...

Freddie - what rock have I been under?! This was the first that I had heard and feel awful that I've not been in touch before now. And looking at Keith's comments, he obviously needs me to proof his postings before further blogging - caringfullness and awesomenessisms are definitely not in the dictionary! :)

From your health update, it sounds like you are in much better shape then many - what a tremendous testimony to self exams and early diagnosis. Thank goodness for your pesky kitty!

Hopefully I can join you for the soire next month. Thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Love, Clark

Anonymous said...

Freddie and Keith, I just learned about your battle with breast cancer today. You both are in my heart and prayers. I look forward to giving you a big hug at the event on Oct. 1st. As you build your immune system you probably are aware that getting your system more alkaline can help. Let me know if you want more information on that. Also, let me know if there is anything I can do!

Sending lots of love and prayers,
Leslie Parker-Wallace

Unknown said...

Freddie,

This too shall pass! Your strength is amazing and with this strength you will beat this. My family and I have you and Keith in our daily prayers.

You truly looked beautiful yesterday, there was a glow about you. I am sure it is the angels!

Love you so much!!

Megan L.

Anonymous said...

Hi Freddie and Keith,

I have been on the Candida diet before and it was a very healthy approach to eating and cleansing out your system. I also felt so much better when I was on it.

Once you get into the swing of things in your eating habbit, you should have it into control. I still try to follow a lot of the Candida methods, especially eliminating sugar and using Stevia

There are also some great recipes int he Candida cookbook. I you would like to borrow my copy, please let me know. I love the oatmeal pancakes. They are outstanding with some fresh fruit on tiop of it.

Take are and I look forward to seeing you on October 1st.

Love,

Elizabeth Kretchmer

Elizabeth Kretchmer said...

Dear Freddie and Keith,

I just wanted to let you know that I was on the Candida diet for about nine months. It certainly was a very healthy way to eat and it did help me feel a lot better while I was on it. I still follow some of the rules in the ways that I eat such as I do not eat much sugar. I substitute sugar by eating fresh fruit or using Stevia.

Once you get the Candida method down in how you eat, if should come by easy.

WOuld you like to borrow my Candida cookbook? I would be happy to bring it to you. Just let me know. The recipes in the cookbook are very good. I especially like the oat pancakes. I just add fresh berries on top of it and it is devine.

I look forward to seeing you on October 1st. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way.

Love,

Elizabeth Kretchmer

Anonymous said...

Dearest Freddie,

Your blog is so positive and wonderful, and you look gorgeous as usual in your picture! I am with you in spirit, thoughts and prayers. You are so strong and determined - truly an inspiration to me, and to women everywhere!

Love you,
Patti Davis (Lucey)

Miss Tori said...

Freddie,

My older sister was diagnosed with breast cancer about two and a half years ago, and after a double mastecomy (she chose to do this to prevent it from coming back later in the second breast), chemo and radiation, and a year long stint of additional IV meds, she has beat the cancer! I have faith that you can too.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Tori Cordova
SCAHU Member

Anonymous said...

Dearest Freddie,

I just learned today of your fight against cancer. My prayers and thoughts are with you and Keith. You are an amazing person and I know you are strong and have such great support from Keith, as well as others who know you.

I look forward to seeing you both October 1.

Love, Bobbi Carbaugh

Anonymous said...

Rest assured that you are, and always will be the heart of my prayers. I believe that with the great attitude and tenacity that you show and have always shown you will be good as new in no time. May you go through the next few months, which I know will be difficult, with the same courage and spiritual awareness that you have always had. I love you dearly and my support is yours forever. Aunt Nancy

Anonymous said...

You both are in my thoughts and prayers.
Stay strong!
Lisa Lubbers

Anonymous said...

Your entire family including 18 cousins and lst and 2nd cousins are all deeply supportive of your upcoming chemo and please know that you're in mine and all their prayers for a speedy finish to this difficult time...Soon you'll be back to your healthy normal robust self

Anonymous said...

My cousin...
Where do I begin? My heart my prayers and all my strength, I give to you. You can beat this! You are a Buckland! Think of the things we as a family have been through and we can do this too. I wish I was closer to you in miles, to cheer you on as you make this journey. But you know already how close you are in my heart. So go do what you have to do, get healthy and let's go on a nice vacation again. Babe I love ya! Kisses and hugs to Keith for all the support he has been giving.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Hey Freddie,

I just wanted to let you know how much I love you and there's not a day that goes by that you are not on my mind! I miss you lots and lots and can't wait to see you next year! xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Love Cuzin Melissa

Anonymous said...

Freddie,

Thanks for being so open and sharing with all of us. You are in my thoughts every day. I am grateful for this blog because I learn how you are doing without pestering you all the time! ;-)

Love ya! Amy D.

Unknown said...

Hi Freddie. Jim Birschback purchased 2 tickets for me and a girlfriend to join you at your Cabo event, as he was out of town during the event. But unfortunately I ended up having to work. I am always thinking of you and always wondering how you are. I am glad that your spirits are up and I've always known what an amazing and inspiring woman you are.

I love you very much and I will see you soon. It seems as if we live in 2 different countries with as hard as it is for me to get to you. I am sorry about that! Just know you are my hero and my inspiration. I love you and miss you terribly.

God bless and be with you through all of this.

Love, Shawnah